My Father and I, as authors of this site are particularly interested in the Langtons of Newbury in Berkshire. My Father was born in Portsmouth, our ancester Charles Langton having moved to Portsmouth in 1843 to enlist in the Royal Marines. Charles was born in Newbury in 1825, and we have his family traces back to 1669. Beyond that we dont know where these Langtons came from. We have guesses based on our other findings but nothing solid yet.
This page shows what we know, and lists some possible links, though most are fairly tenuous. In order to answer the question of where the Newbury Langtons originated from we will need to find out more, and ideally someone reading this will provide a key piece of information for us. After all, this information isnt likely to be interesting only to us. Newbury became one of the largest consentrations of Langtons come the years of the census taking and many other Langton families share the same origin with us, including a few who have already been in contact with us.
In addition to Portsmouth, we know the Newbury Langtons moved elsewhere including London.
William Langton and Elizabeth Gibbs married in Speen/Newbury in 1679. Click here to see their trees, and descendants.
We dont know where either come from, though we have found a likely candidate for Elizabeth, born in Newbury itself on May 11th 1656, daughter of Samuel GIBBS.
We dont find a Langton born in Newbury as early as this and so we think William Langton probably moved to Newbury, having been born elsewhere.
Back to Elizabeth briefly, there is another record of a Newbury birth around the same time period, a Nathaniel Gibbs, son of Samuel GIBBS, born 18th January 1653/4.
There are other Elizabeth Gibbs born around the same time, outside Newbury, but close by in the Wiltshire/Berkshire area, most likely related, one of these may turn out to be our Elizabeth, but it seems most likely it is the Elizabeth Gibbs born in Newbury itself.
We have recorded many Gibbs births, marriages, deaths from around the Wiltshire/Berkshire area, which can be seen below on this map as well as being listed at the bottom of this page.
If you have any details to add, or other possibilities, we would love to hear from you, whether they confirm our theory or not, indeed ruling out possible candidates due to other marriage or death is also very helpful. So please get in contact if you know more on the Gibbs.
Note: The Gibbs name is sometimes spelt as Gybbs, or Gibbes
Yes. We are open to the fact our William could have moved to Newbury from anywhere, and although we havent found a record of it, he may possibily have been born in Newbury itself.
Looking outside Newbury though, it seems most likely that he moved to the area from relatively close by. We have found multiple Langton families in the Wiltshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire area, and the possible families are listed below.
* John Langton, chaplain of St. Laurence, alive bet 1360 and 1389.
* Friar Ivo Langton, alive 1302.
* Walter Langton, tailor. Will, 1566.
* Humpfrey Langton, tailor, alive 1561.
BRITFORD, SALISBURY, WILTSHIRE
* John Langton married Joan Greet 31 Jan 1580.
* John Langton (same family as the later Calne Langtons), alive 1672.
* Anne Langhson, married Thomas Oram 29 June 1618.
WOOTTON BASSETT, WILTSHIRE
* John Lancton, buried in 1585.
* Elizabeth Lancton, buried 1597.
* Anne Landon, buried 1625.
* Thomas Langton, married Anne Early 15 Sep 1614.
* William Langton, brother of above.
* Thomas Langton, married Anne Greene 23 Aug 1641.
* William langton married Christen Stafford, 28 Jan 1580.
* William Langton born 1579.
LYDIARD TREGOZE, WILTSHIRE
* Oliver Lancton, will 1657.
STRATFIELD MORTIMER, BERKSHIRE
* John Langliton, will 1632.
* There are several Langtons in Bristol and in various locations in somerset, gloucestershire and wiltshire before 1679.
GREAT SOMERFORD, WILTSHIRE
* John Langton, rector 20 may 1634.
* Robert Langton, curate 21 dec 1634.
* Margaret Langton married Willja Froglie 31 Jan 1579.
* Richard Langton born 26 Apr 1618.
NEW WINDSOR, BERKSHIRE
* Sibil, wife of a Langton, 1603.
* Thomas Langton, Rev. alive 1595.
* Thomas Langton, Rev. alive 1595.
* Unknown Langton, 1593.
* Edward Langton, buried 15 Nov 1665.
* Edward Langton baptised 29 Jul 1599. Father Thomas, and mother Edith.
HAMPTON, WILTSHIRE (not sure where)
* Mary Langton-Lond, born 1686, daughter of Nelson Langton.
HIGHWORTH AND SEVENHAMPTON, WILTSHIRE
* Christopher Langton Sr
* Christopher Langton Jr, married Elizabeth Plat 28 Sep 1588.
* Vicar Robert Langton married Judith Lawrence (of Chilton, Hungerford) 1630.
* Edward Langton, married Margaret Curtice 23 Aug 1630.
* Thomas Langton, baptised 26 Mar 1633.
* Samuel Langton, baptised 23 Jul 1640.
* Richard Langton, baptised 26 Dec 1643.
* Edmund Langton, baptised 3 Mar 1634.
* Martha Lanten of Aldborne married John White of Wanborough 29 Oct 1683.
* William Luengtonnne baptised 28 October 1631.
* Ann Langton, born 1570. Father Bartholomew.
* Agnes Langton, born 1588.
* Nathaniel Langton, baptised 17 Feb 1594.
* Richard Langton, baptised 30 Oct 1568.
* John Langton, beggar. Alive 1598.
Places where we get langtons a bit later, where its possible there may be earlier Langtons that we dont know about:
* PURTON, WILTSHIRE
* CALNE, WILTSHIRE
* LIDDINGTON, WILTSHIRE
* READING, BERKSHIRE
* MILTON LILBORNE
* MARLBOROUGH, WILTSHIRE
* ARDINGTON, OXFORDSHIRE
* WANTAGE, OXFORDSHIRE
* EISLEY, WILTSHIRE
* LATTON, WILTSHIRE
* BROMHAM, WILTSHIRE
* BLEWBERRY, OXFORDSHIRE
* ASTON TIRROLD, OXFORDSHIRE
Places where Langtons lived in the 15 and 16 hundreds, but which have been ruled out as not related:
* Shrivenham, Wiltshire
* Bourton, Wiltshire
* BIshopstone, Wiltshire
* Radley, Oxfordshire
* Brightwell, Oxfordshire
* Maidenhead, Berkshire
* Bray, Berkshire
* Cookham, Berkshire
* Farnham Royal, Berkshire